Sunday, May 6, 2012

’Allonim Street

Jewish date:  14 ’Iyyar 5772 (Parashath Behar).


Today’s event:  Nurses’ Day.


Greetings.

Before I continue my series on the streets of Giv‘ath Shemu’el, I would like to note some weird news:  “‘Loch Ness Monster’ ordered to leave Wisconsin river”.  This is not about an injunction against a legendary monster, but rather about a sculpture left in river, apparently as a prank.  We ought to have more stunts like this.

Today’s street of focus in my series is ’Allonim (Oak) Street.  As before, commentary on the photographs may be deliberately inaccurate for entertainment purposes.


One of the things I really like about Israel is that they make it very convenient to recycle paper and plastics.  They have recycling bins, such as this one, all over the place out on the streets.

I discovered these pots attached to a palm tree (not an oak) on a median.

The pots were part of an agricultural system tended to by Smurfs who had taken up residence on a median.  Notice the distinctive mushroom-shaped houses and Israeli-style drip agriculture.  The Smurfs refused to be photographed, but they did allow me to photograph their mini-village.  The plants are very young Smurfberry bushes.






Enjoy, share the weirdness, and watch out for Gargamel.

’Aharon/Aaron

No comments: