Wednesday, April 11, 2012

’Aharon Street

Jewish date:  19 Nisan 5772 (Parashath Shemini).

Today’s events:  National Robotics Week, Barbershop Quartet Day.

Greetings.

For today’s weird thing, I want to try something new.  Urban planners and architects in Israel have a lot of fun.  They do not hesitate to take boring things, such as electrical boxes and road medians, and make them more interesting.  Combining this with a tendency I have to see unusual things everywhere if I just look closely enough, I am (slowly) trying to visit every street here in Giv‘ath Shemu’el and photograph something unusual.  There are a total of 87 streets in this town, so this should be feasible.  Today’s installment is ’Aharon Street, which is not named after me.  Note that comments on the photographs may or may not be accurate, depending on entertainment value and how much I feel like compensating for less-unusual streets.

The street sign.  Please do not ask me to explain the transliteration system on street signs, because no one seems to understand it.

Looking down the street.  Note the lack of a separate asphalt-covered area for motor vehicles, which may be meant as a method of discouraging motorists and encouraging more ecologically friendly forms of transportation.

Wind chimes which always seem to be playing “Louie Louie”, indicating possible demonic activity.  Some authorities suggest that demons may be allergic to asphalt.

A metal rooster which plays percussion for the wind chimes.

I know there is nothing particularly unusual about these flowers.  Except these pictures were taken in January.




Some pictures of a garden area, just to round things out.  For some reason the abundance of palm trees in this country reminds me of Gilligan’s Island.  And I am aware these are date palms, not coconut palms.

Enjoy and share the weirdness.

’Aharon/Aaron

No comments: